SL vs NZ: It was a sublime effort from the visitors to win the first T20I against Sri Lanka by 5 wickets at the Pallekele International Cricket Stadium in an evening affair. The two teams will now stay back here to play the second game of the series.
Winning the toss and batting first, Sri Lankan innings got off to a flier courtesy some lusty blows from Kusal Mendis. His knock of 79 from 53 deliveries set the tone for Sri Lanka’s big score. However, no able support from the middle-order meant that the hosts were reduced to 179 for the loss of 4 wickets after a terrific start.
Sri Lanka vs New Zealand Team News
Sri Lanka Team News
- Leg-spinner Wanindu Hasaranga made his debut in the last game and scalped 2 wickets from his quota of 4 overs. He is expected to retain his place in the eleven.
- Kasun Rajitha was way too expensive in the last game as he gave away 44 runs from 4 overs. He could lose his place to Lahiru Kumara who was warming the bench in the last game.
- Batting all-rounder Lahiru Madushanka is also an option to feature in the eleven at the expense of Shehan Jayasuriya who didn’t get to bat and was taken for 10 runs from an over he bowled.
New Zealand Team News
- Pacer Lockie Ferguson has been ruled out of the remainder of the series with a fractured thumb.
- Seth Rance was pretty expensive in the last game courtesy Kusal Mendis who was all over him in his first over of the spell. However, with the visitors having not many options in the seam bowling department, he will be keeping his place in the eleven.
- Tom Bruce and Todd Astle were the two players who were benched in the last game and it looks like they will be warming the bench once again.
Sri Lanka vs New Zealand Playing11
Sri Lanka Playing 11-
Kusal Perera, Kusal Menids, Niroshan Dickwella, Dasun Shanaka, Lahiru Madhushanka/Shehan Jayasuriya, Avishka Fernando, Isuru Udana, Kasun Rajitha/Lahiru Kumara, Lasith Malinga, Akila Dananjaya
New Zealand Playing 11-
Martin Guptill, Seth Rance, Tim Southee, Daryl Mitchell, Scott Kuggeleijn, Ross Taylor, Colin Munro, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Seifert, Colin de Grandhomme
Sri Lanka vs New Zealand Squads
Lasith Malinga (c), Shehan Jayasuriya, Lahiru Kumara, Wanidu Hasaranga, Avishka Fernando, Kusal Perera, Lakshan Sandakan, Kusal Menids, Danushka Gunathilaka, Lahiru Madhushanka, Niroshan Dickwella, Dasun Shanaka, Isuru Udana, Kasun Rajitha, Akila Dananjaya.
Tim Southee (c), Todd Astle, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Seifert, Seth Rance, Colin de Grandhome, Scott Kuggeleijn, Ross Taylor, Colin Munro, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Tom Bruce, Daryl Mitchell.