7 Amazing Tips to Prevent Tears while Chopping Onions: The onion is also known as the bulb onion or common onion. It is a vegetable that is the most widely cultivated species of the genus Allium. The shallot is a botanical variety of the onion. The shallot was classified as a separate species until 2010.
Onions are cultivated and used around the world. They are usually served cooked, as a vegetable or part of a prepared savory dish. But can also be eaten raw or used to make pickles or chutneys. Why do tears come out while cutting an onion? They are sharp when chopped and contain certain chemical substances which may irritate the eyes.
7 Amazing Tips to Prevent Tears while Chopping Onions
- The onion should be cut while sitting under a fast rotating fan or near the vent that vents air from the inside of the house to the outside. Then the gases released from the onion will go away from your eye.
- Put the onion slices in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. If it is cut after that, water will not come out of the eye. Doing so will slow down the reaction in the onion. If cut when the temperature is high. Large amounts of gases are released from the onion and cause discomfort to the eye.
- Use only a sharp knife. With a very sharp knife .. Onion cells cause less damage. Thus releasing small amounts of gases.
- Onion root contains high concentrations of enzymes and sulfuric substances. That is why the piece should be cut with a sharp knife. Then chop the rest.
- Tears do not come if the onion is cut close to the gas stove or candle flame. The sulfur in the flame weakens the chemical compound in the onion.
- Cut the bottom and top parts of the onion and put it in water. Cut after soaking for at least 10 minutes. In this way, the sulfuric compounds in the potato are released into the water. The strong flavor of the onion decreases.
- First, chop the onion into two parts. Then cut the cut part towards the chopping board and cut from the top. Some chefs say that if you do this, the tears will not come much.
Follow all these steps to prevent tears while cutting the onion. And feel free from the tears. Enjoy your cooking with Joy.