When it comes to playing on lotteries, we normally think of random number generators and randomly-selected balls with numbers on them. However, there was actually a lottery game that had a very different origin to this. In fact, the Matka lottery was originally based on something very different indeed: the prices of cotton, which dictated the livelihoods of many people at the time of the lottery’s inception!
Today, we’ll be taking a look at what the Matka lottery was and how it grew over the years to become one of the most famous lotteries in India; plus, we’ll also consider how the game has changed over the years since its original creation.
The Early Days of the Matka Lottery
Farming is always a precarious business to be in, and the difference between making a profit and feeding your family or making a loss and going without is always a very real threat – and this was just as true for cotton farmers during the 1950s and 1960s.
As such, the announcing of the cotton price by the New York Cotton Exchange was undeniably an act that could make or break a family for the year and was directly tied to the family’s ability to make a living off of their crops. Nevertheless, these families always strove to work harder to ensure their farms remained profitable – but it was always clear that the cotton price would dictate their earnings.
With these families’ lifestyles being so closely tied to the cotton prices of the day, it perhaps comes as no surprise that a number of people began betting on what the outcome price would be. Over time, this would go on to become the Satta Matka lottery: a unique lottery where the winner was whoever could guess most closely the opening and closing trading prices for cotton on the exchange.
How the Lottery Evolved To An Online-Based Lottery
After the closing of the US Cotton Exchange, Matka players were determined not to let the lottery come to an end. With this in mind, the lottery largely transitioned to a paper-based price system, with results being determined by selecting a piece of paper at random with a price on.
By the 1990s, Matka games began to transition to the online world, too; now, Matka games are primarily played online with random number generators creating the opening and closing Panna. This was further fuelled by a crackdown on Matka betting by the Indian police; however, playing Matka online in India remained legal.
Key Tips to Spend Your Matka Winnings Wisely
Regardless of whether you bet on and won the Kalyan Matka online, or if you’ve yet to see any wins, it’s always crucial that you consider some of the key methods to spend wisely.
Indeed, while the Matka lottery can provide massive wins of up to 12,000 times the bet value, it’s still irrefutable that careful spending is always cautious; after all, there are countless examples of people who’ve won the lottery but lost it all! With this in mind, we highly recommend you consider the following points to make the most of every rupee or dollar you earn:
- Always set a careful budget for each week, and do your best to stick to this. Your chosen budget should always fall comfortably within your monthly income, so you only need to dip into your savings when things go wrong.
- Be careful with investments! Many people assume they should invest their money after winning a bet on the Kalyan Matka lottery; however, the wrong investment decisions can leave you with less money than you started, rather than more. Be particularly careful if you try trading in Forex or Crypto; this can give big returns but potentially even bigger losses.
- Make a list of all expenses if you’re not entirely sure where your money is going. This may help you identify large expenses, thereby allowing you to make cuts where necessary.
- Consider how you could cut your standard household heating and utility expenses. Even something as simple as turning the heating on an hour later in the day and wearing a jumper can save almost a whole day’s worth of energy over the course of a month – little changes add up, after all.
- Try to grow your own, where possible! It might only offer a small saving, but growing your own homegrown veggies, fruits, and if you have the land, animal products, may help cut your expenses a little while also giving you a great new hobby to try! This is particularly true for foods such as herbs, which are incredibly easy to grow on a plant shelf and which we often spend more than we need to on!
The Matka lottery is undeniably a strange concept – indeed, the lottery seamlessly blended productivity and farm profitability with a widespread lottery system which gave it widespread appeal across India and contributed to its fame. Though the Cotton exchange is no longer trading, the Matka lottery has evolved with time to offer a different sort of experience instead. Still, it retained its original theme of betting on the anticipated price results all the same.